- Well to be suspended at 3,704m
- Hydrocarbon-bearing gas circulated to surface provides strong evidence of a working petroleum system
- Significant over-pressure just above the prognosed primary target indicates an efficient seal is in place
- The potential formation pressures associated with drilling forward to the primary target would require a higher specification rig and surface equipment
- Wireline logs and vertical seismic profiling (VSP) are currently being conducted to help form a forward plan.
It is not currently possible to obtain a downhole gas sample for full compositional testing. However, gas recovered to surface with drilling fluids confirms the presence of hydrocarbons and inert gasses. This provides strong evidence of a working petroleum system at the Dukas-1 location.
Santos is operating the Dukas-1 well drilling programme and carrying 100% of the cost of the well to earn a 70% interest in EP112.
CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER COMMENT
"Encountering a high-pressure inflow of hydrocarbon-bearing gas this close to where we believe our target formation is located is really exciting on a technical front. It provides strong evidence of a working petroleum system with an effective seal which increases the chance of a material gas resource at this prospect.
A delay in completing the drilling of Dukas-1 is frustrating for everyone, especially with promising indicators this close to our target. We are working closely with Santos as our JV partner and Operator to develop a forward plan as quickly as possible. Notwithstanding, a drilling delay due to high-pressure hydrocarbon-bearing gas just above the target formation is, on balance, a positive development for this exciting prospect." said Leon Devaney, Central Petroleum's CEO and MD.
About Central Petroleum Limited
Central Petroleum Limited (ASX:CTP) is an oil and gas explorer and producer listed on the Australian Securities Exchange focused on supplying the domestic gas market. Central is advancing several separate projects across what is regarded as the biggest package of proven and prospective oil and gas acreage across central Australia. This spread of assets gives Central multiple options for growth and development. 88% of this land being gas prone has led to the Company's focus on becoming a major domestic gas producer.
ContactCentral Petroleum Limited
Martin Debelle at Citadel-MAGNUS
FINANCE VIDEO: Empire Energy Group (ASX:EEG) CEO Alex Underwood Explains the Energy Opportunity in the Northern Territory