- Significant milestone achieved with NTA on entire tenement portfolio covering 650 sq km
- NTA a pre-requisite for formal mining permits to be issued by the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety
- Milestone payments up to maximum of $300,000 and royalty on gross sales value at less than 1%
- Hastings to provide education, training and employment opportunities.
In October 2016, the TMWTJ People registered a claim with the National Native Title Tribunal in the Federal Court of Australia over the Company's entire tenement area measuring approximately 650 sq km. This claim was lodged notwithstanding that the Company had been granted Mining Leases on mineralised ground covering approximately 50 sq km, free of a native title claim, in March 2016.
In view of the registered claim, the Company proceeded to negotiate a native title settlement agreement with the TMWTJ People.
The NTA contains a range of commercial and non-commercial terms, including future milestone payments to the TMWTJ People (equal to a maximum aggregate of $300,000 (adjusted for CPI)) in compensation for operations at different stages of the project and a royalty payment of less than 1% of the gross sales value of the Company's mixed rare earths carbonate produced from the project. In addition, the Company will provide education, training and employment opportunities for the TMTWJ People including assisting in the establishment of complementary sustainable local businesses.
The management of Hastings expresses its appreciation to the representatives and elders of the TMWTJ People for their professionalism and collaborative spirit during the period of negotiations and look forward to working with the TMWTJ People as the Company moves towards development of the mine following completion of the Definitive Feasibility Study (DFS) which is anticipated in late November.
Under the terms of the NTA, the Company is able to undertake operations directed towards the exploration for, identification, development and production of mixed rare earths carbonates from within the entire 650 sq km project area.
A key feature of the NTA is also the establishment of a TMWTJ Community Development Trust Fund which will be administered by the TMWTJ People for the benefit of the community.
The NTA is a pre-requisite for formal mining permits to be issued by Western Australia's Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety (DMIRS) for the Yangibana Rare Earths project.
Charles Lew, Chairman commented "this is a major milestone for Hastings which allows us to move forward with confidence to the next development and financing stage of the project following completion of the DFS. We have built a solid and mutually respectful relationship with the TMWTJ People in the last 12 months of negotiations and we look forward to working with the elders to achieve the aspirations of Hastings and the TMWTJ People."
About Hastings Technology Metals Ltd
Hastings Technology Metals Ltd (ASX:HAS) is a leading Australian rare earths company, with two rare earths projects hosting JORC-compliant resources in Western Australia.
- The Yangibana Project hosts Probable Reserves totaling 5.15 million tonnes at 1.12% TREO including 0.45% Nd2O3+Pr6O11 within JORC Resources totalling 21.0 million tonnes at 1.17% TREO (comprising Measured Resources of 3.9 million tonnes at 1.19% TREO, Indicated Resources of 8.6 million tonnes at 1.25% TREO and Inferred Resources of 8.4 million tonnes at 1.09% TREO), including 0.40% Nd2O3+Pr6O11.
- The Brockman deposit contains JORC Indicated and Inferred Resources totalling 41.4 million tonnes (comprising 32.3mt Indicated Resources and 9.1mt Inferred Resources) at 0.21% TREO, including 0.18% HREO, plus 0.36% Nb2O5 and 0.90% ZrO2.
- Rare earths are critical to a wide variety of current and new technologies, including smart phones, electric vehicles, wind turbines and energy efficient light bulbs.
- The Company aims to capitalise on the strong demand for rare earths permanent magnets created by expanding new technologies.
Director of Mining Operations
Hastings Technology Metals Ltd (ASX:HAS) Successful Infill and Extension Drilling at Auer, Auer North