Annual Report Highlights Major Progress Towards Development
Mr Gray noted that "while current coal markets are soft, of interest to Bandanna is the coal price in January 2015, not in September 2012. Wood Mackenzie, one of the world's leading commodity analysts, predicts significant demand growth for the period from 2015 to 2030, leading to increased thermal coal prices in the long term."
Bandanna shares this view of long-term demand and, as outlined in the annual report, remains fully committed to progressing development of the Springsure Creek Project for first coal production in the second half of 2014. First production will coincide with the completion of Stage 1 of the Wiggins Island Coal Export Terminal (WICET).
The annual report highlights milestones achieved during and subsequent to the 2012 financial year to progress the Springsure Creek Project towards production. Key highlights include:
- strong cash position to enable completion of the definitive feasibility study (DFS), approvals and preliminary capital works
- financial close of WICET Stage 1 confirming Springsure Creek's 14% shareholding and 4Mtpa capacity allocation
- execution of port and rail infrastructure contracts to enable haulage and shipping of product coal
- commencement of construction of WICET Stage 1 in December 2011, with development works on track for completion in the second half of 2014
- DFS on track for completion by the end of September 2012 and independent review during October 2012
- establishment of a management team with extensive recent greenfield development experience
- development of a co-existence strategy to guide continued high productivity cropping within the project area throughout the life of the mine
- substantial progress on completion of the Draft Environmental Impact Study, with regulatory approvals on track for sign-off by June 2013
- ongoing discussion with potential customers in relation to coal offtake
- ongoing discussion with potential project partners, with detailed negotiation regarding equity investment in the project to commence following the independent review of the DFS.
Reflecting on the Company's achievements and challenges during the 2012 financial year, Mr Gray observed that "the Springsure Creek Project is the only large scale, greenfield thermal coal project in Australia that has contracted port and rail capacity through facilities under construction. Despite challenging conditions in current coal markets, Bandanna is well placed, with a strong cash position and ongoing discussions with potential project partners, to enable the project to be developed and commence production in a period when forecasters predict significant further demand for thermal coal. Whilst existing coal producers are scaling back current operations, Bandanna remains focused on progressing development of the Springsure Creek Project to take advantage of anticipated improved market conditions from 2015 and beyond."
View the Bandanna Energy Annual Report at the link below:
About Bandanna Energy Limited
Bandanna Energy Limited (ASX:BND) is uniquely positioned to become Australia's next coal producer. The company's core activities are exploration, project evaluation and development of thermal and PCI coal assets located in Queensland, Australia.
Bandanna Energy is the only ASX listed company with substantial coal assets in both the Bowen and Galilee basins subject to EIS and advanced mine studies. The company is committed to working constructively with the communities in which it operates, and delivering growing returns to shareholders, government and the community.
Bandanna Energy's Springsure Creek underground thermal coal project is scheduled to commence production in mid-2015. Bandanna is a 14% shareholder in Wiggins Island Coal Export Terminal (WICET) Stage 1 at Gladstone, with port allocation of 4Mtpa for the Springsure Creek Project, and has also secured the necessary infrastructure capacity for the integrated rail haulage of coal from the Springsure Creek Project to port.
Bandanna Energy Limited