Announces a Technical Report for the Mankarga Gold Deposit in Burkina Faso
Announces a Technical Report for the Mankarga Gold Deposit in Burkina Faso

Perth, Sep 17, 2014 AEST (ABN Newswire) - West African Resources Limited (CVE:WAF) (ASX:WAF) Announces a Technical Report for the Mankarga Gold Deposit in Burkina Faso.

The Tanlouka Gold Project is located approximately 90km east-southeast of Ouagadougou, the capital of Burkina Faso, lying approximately 20km south of Mogtedo the nearest regional town. Centroid co-ordinates for the Project are longitude 0Deg 51" W and latitude 12Deg 10" N. The Project covers an aggregate area of 115km2, comprising one granted exploration licence.

WAF has a 90% interest in the Tanlouka property and has signed an agreement to acquire the remaining 10% of the project from GMC SARL, following completion of a positive feasibility study, a Burkina Faso registered entity.

Exploration History

The Mankarga 5 deposit was identified in 2000 by RAB Drilling following up anomalous rock chip and gold geochemistry anomalies that had been identified by surface sampling programs completed by previous worker Channel Resources Ltd in the late 1990's. Since then a number of RC and diamond drilling campaigns have been completed at the prospect by Channel and later West African Resources. By early 2014, a total of 60 RC Holes (7,296.2m), 79 diamond holes (16,722.8m) and 116 Aircore (AC) holes (4,601m) had been completed.

Geology and Mineralisation

The Tanlouka Gold Project occurs within the Manga-Sebba greenstone belt within a strongly arcuate volcano-sedimentary northeast-trending belt in the central domain that is bounded to the east by the Tiébélé-Dori-Markoye Fault, one of the two major structures subdividing Burkina Faso into three lithotectonic domains.

The geology of the Tanlouka area is characterised by metasedimentary and volcanosedimenatry rocks, intruded by mafic, diorite and granodiorite intrusions. The sediments vary from a mafic to felsic composition. At the Mankarga 5 area the metasedimentary pile is mostly composed of undifferentiated pelitic and psammitic metasediments as well as volcanosedimentary units. Psammite (Sps) and pelite (Spc) are consistently laminated and occasionally schistose. The metasediments pile has been intruded by a granodiorite which is occasionally porphyritic in texture, overprinted by shearing in places, and is generally parallel to sub-parallel with the main shear orientation.

The alteration mineralogy varies from chloritic to siliceous, albitic, calcitic and sericite-muscovite. The regional alteration is marked by chlorite, whereas sericite and silica are locally widespread in the sedimentary pile. Sericite/muscovite alteration is associated with weathering and also shears, with its intensity commonly decreasing with an increase in silicification overprint. Silicification appears shear-bound, which is likely to be associated with gold mineralisation. The metasediments are preferentially intensively silicified in close proximity to the granodiorite.

Observed gold mineralisation at Mankarga 5 appears to be associated with mineralised shear hosted quartz veins and veinlet arrays, silica, sulphide and carbonate-albite, and tourmaline-biotite alteration. Gold is free and is mainly associated with minor pyrite, chalcopyrite and arsenopyrite disseminations and stringers. The currently known mineralisation extends along strike for approximately 3km, approximately 100m across strike and approximately 300m in elevation.

The Markoye Fault is believed to be the main conduit for the gold mineralisation found on Tanlouka. Mankarga 5 is considered to be a shear zone hosted style disseminated sulphide gold deposit. Similar deposits are found in the late Proterozoic Birimian terranes of West Africa. These hydrothermal deposits are mostly late orogenic deposits and are associated with major shear zones.

To view the complete report, please visit:

About West African Resources Limited

West African Resources Limited (ASX:WAF)West African Resources Limited (ASX:WAF) (CVE:WAF) is a gold-copper exploration company dedicated to creating shareholder value through the acquisition, exploration and development of resource projects in Burkina Faso, West Africa.

West African has a landholding of 6,370sq km and 200km of strike length of early Proterozoic Birimian greenstone belts, which are highly prospective for gold mineralisation.



West African Resources Limited
Nathan Ryan, Investor Relations
T: +61-420-582-887

Related Companies

West African Resources Limited             

ABN Newswire
ABN Newswire This Page Viewed:  (Last 7 Days: 3) (Last 30 Days: 9) (Since Published: 4141)