- World leading producer of high purity alumina (HPA) - 4,500 tonnes pa
- Sapphire gemstone
- Natural form of high purity alumina (HPA) Al2O3
- Formed by mother nature like diamonds
- Colour from impurities
- Nearly as hard as diamond (Mohs 9)
What is HPA?
- Purified alumina (Al2O3)
- 99.99% (4N) purity or greater
- Smelter Grade Alumina (SGA) ~ 99.5% (5,000ppm impurities, mainly sodium)
- Bayer Process uses sodium hydroxide (NaOH)
- Sodium impurity is a problem for sapphire and lithium batteries
To view the full presentation, please visit:
About Altech Chemicals Ltd
HPA is a high-value, high margin and highly demanded product as it is the critical ingredient required for the production of synthetic sapphire. Synthetic sapphire is used in the manufacture of substrates for LED lights, semiconductor wafers used in the electronics industry, and scratch-resistant sapphire glass used for wristwatch faces, optical windows and smartphone components. There is no substitute for HPA in the manufacture of synthetic sapphire.
Global HPA demand is approximately 25,315tpa (2016) and demand is growing at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 16.7% (2016-2024), primarily driven by the growth in worldwide adoption of LEDs. As an energy efficient, longer lasting and lower operating cost form of lighting, LED lighting is replacing the traditional incandescent bulbs.
Altech Chemicals Ltd